Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Doctor Returns!



Happy Doctor Who Day! If somehow you have no idea what doctor who is, scroll to the bottom and I'll clue you in to the most amazing thing ever. After a long three month wait, we can resume season 7 and find out what the deal with Clara is. I would complain about how the wait for this season to begin and then start back up has been torturous, but compared to the wait for Sherlock, this has been cake.

See me up there looking all cozy with a dalek? That was taken at Dallas Comic Con last October. Being Oswin was so much fun and I might have freaked out a bit when I saw the dalek. What can I say? I'm a nerd and I wear my obsessive love for things on my sleeve.



In other Who news, I just saw this on Facebook and I have to share... David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning for the 50th anniversary special! How freaking amazing is that? As a Ten/Rose shipper for life, I am super pumped and I hope there is some romance between them. No telling how Moffat will pull off the multiple Doctors at once and Rose being in parallel universe thing. I'm trusting his genius to keep me happily entertained. While Matt Smith is totally my doctor, I'm looking forward to seeing Ten again.


So, you don't know what the hell I'm talking about? Doctor Who is a British sci-fi show that started in 1963 and is still running today. It took a brief hiatus, had a movie, and then picked back up. How is this possible you say? The star of the show is the Doctor (note, his name is the Doctor, not Doctor Who) who is from the alien race of Time Lords. They have the ability to regenerate when near death which is a handy thing when you have a show running for 50 years. We are currently on the Eleventh regeneration/actor. The Doctor travels around space and time in his TARDIS (that blue police box you've seen all over the internet) with companions he picks up along the way. The show follows all of his adventures which usually deal with aliens and saving the day. Because he can travel in time though, there is a lot of mind-bending crossing of paths by different characters. Whovians like to make their brains melt. 



Should you want to start watching the show, you have some options. You can start from the very beginning with the First Doctor or you can start with the 2005 episodes with the Ninth Doctor OR you can start at series* five with the Eleventh Doctor. I started with Nine and think that's the best route to go. It gives you a good history of what you've not seen and lays the foundation for things to come in later seasons. Most of Doctor Who is available on Netflix Instant so it's super easy to access. 

In the UK, they call seasons series. Which makes things a bit confusing for Americans. 

4 comments:

  1. I love that most of Doctor Who is available on Netflix Instant! Because I could seriously just watch hours of it and be completely happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Who and Harry Potter are two things I can watch over and over again.

      Delete
  2. I am so excited that Who is back! I am really digging Clara so far, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got into Doctor Who, so I am starting from the beginning of the new series. I am almost on Season 3!

    ReplyDelete